The Definition Of 'Broadband Internet' Has Changed

Social media & hi tech gadget news, computer & privacy topics, viruses & mass data breaches, gaming and new apps.
Site Features Tutorial
Tarryall

Re: The Definition Of 'Broadband Internet' Has Changed

Post by Tarryall »

ChromaKey wrote:I'm sorry, this is not 1959. We don't learn about the world through broadcast television or radio like children suckling their worldview from a corporate teat, anymore. Information overload? Learn to use an index.
Wait, I thought you believed the media is more concentrated in the hands of a few big corporations than ever before.
Everybody Knows The Dice Are Loaded. Everybody Knows The Good Guys Lost.
DMCDD

Post by DMCDD »

And the media owns the internet.
Freedom of speech carries with it the responsibility to know when to shut up.
ChromaKey

Post by ChromaKey »

BS. Nobody 'owns' the Internet. It belongs to global society.
Tarryall

Post by Tarryall »

Lets force the downstream people to subsidize our internet!!!! Seems fair to me. We get to live in the fresh air and beauty and shouldn't have to pay extra or accept less service than those down below.
ChromaKey

Post by ChromaKey »

Why should my tax dollars maintain roads you use but I don't? That logic doesn't go far, IMO.
Josey

Post by Josey »

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/01/broadb ... ce=mainrss

The Definition Of 'Broadband Internet' Has (been) Changed (by the experts)...
Broadband Internet Definition Changed...
The Federal Communications Commission today voted to change the definition of broadband internet in the United States...

ROFL

1200 2400 14.4k 28K 56K 1MB 2MB 25MB 1.21GHZ !!!! Oh MY!

"FCC Commissioner (And Obama Admin Yes Man) Tom Wheeler voiced his support for this new standard saying that “When 80 percent of Americans can access 25-3, that’s a standard (by golly). We have a problem (crisis) that 20 percent can’t. We have a responsibility to that 20 percent. (Never mind that lil old $18T in debt)” Oh waawawa, more free stuff mandated by experts in Government. Think people, think! "I'm entitled to more Bandwidth for my dang youtube videos, and tweets, and facebook pics, and flashy internet ads. Gosh dang it, this is the USA! We went to da Moon in the 60s!

Next up, re-defining Poverty as anyone making under $50K.

BroadBand SchmoadBand! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
An intelligent man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half. -EVAN ESAR
ChromaKey

Post by ChromaKey »

A lot of misplaced skepticism and opposition to basic progress. Out of genuine curiosity, did you come up with this wrongful position on your own, or does someone pay you to shill?
Tarryall

Post by Tarryall »

ChromaKey wrote:Why should my tax dollars maintain roads you use but I don't? That logic doesn't go far, IMO.
Think of it more like this. Should Alma get a couple highway cloverleaf interchanges to reduce accidents? Not enough population to justify it IMO.
ChromaKey

Post by ChromaKey »

That's silly. Cloverleaf interchanges are built to interconnect highways, period. Safety or lack thereof is a secondary byproduct of their construction, which is for the sole purpose of the interconnect. Not to say they aren't rebuilt for safety, I guess as was famously done with Denver's I-25/I-70 "mousetrap."

Stop distracting from the basic issue, Internet access is more akin to a public library and a post office. These are the basic infrastructure of erudite society for communication and edification, first and foremost. I should know, I've been on the addressable Internet since 1994, and it's still that core progressive purpose for the Internetwork that matters most in 2015: quickening the intellectual interchange and capital of society.

You people seem to think this is just some new type of pipe for corporate whores and industry titans to shlep their warez to market. Sorry, no. That thought is a perversion and I'll gleefully call out people who roll that forward as if it should be the tail that wags the dog. You probably think universities exist solely to provide corporate America with human capital. BS. Such degeneracy in thinking boggles my mind.
Josey

Post by Josey »

Interesting Fact:

"In telecommunications, broadband is wide bandwidth data transmission with an ability to simultaneously transport multiple signals and traffic types. The medium can be coaxial cable, optical fiber, twisted pair, or wireless broadband (wireless broadband includes Mobile broadband). In contrast, baseband describes a communication system in which information is transported across a single channel ."

Note that the "speed" of data transmission is not mentioned.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled dumbed down government redefinition of the meaning of words for political reasons.

What is the latest official government definition of the word "IS"? :)
An intelligent man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half. -EVAN ESAR

Return to “Hard Drive”