Do Wi-Fi and Cell Service Belong in Our National Parks?

Trail guides & maps, Lake & Rec Center info, Runs & Rides. From the lake to the slopes, biking to fly-fishing.
cabinish

Do Wi-Fi and Cell Service Belong in Our National Parks?

Post by cabinish »

"Plenty of people experience nature through a lens. So it's no surprise that Yellowstone National Park wants to enhance cellular and Wi-Fi coverage throughout some of its 2.2 million acres. It would require serious infrastructure changes, including two new cellular towers at scenic points, and a bulky antennae platform on historic Mount Washburn.

. . .Maps from service providers AT&T and Verizon, according to PEER, indicate that coverage would bleed into Yellowstone's backcountry areas, which are cherished in part for their remoteness."

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... onal-parks
Tarryall

Re: Do Wi-Fi and Cell Service Belong in Our National Parks?

Post by Tarryall »

Great question. Will the youth stop going to National Parks unless they get WiFi? Or will they get to even experience them if their face is looking at a tablet instead of a timber wolf?
Everybody Knows The Dice Are Loaded. Everybody Knows The Good Guys Lost.
cabinish

Post by cabinish »

Withdrawal from tech devices could make summer vacation a nightmare, but park infrastructure is losing out to cell towers for improvement
resources.

I don't want to see a cell tower by Yellowstone Falls. :angry2:
Tarryall

Post by Tarryall »

So many parks are already overcrowded so as a park visitor I wouldn't mind if more people stayed away. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to close a few roads while they are at it. Let people walk on them instead of sitting bumper to bumper snorting exhaust fumes.
Everybody Knows The Dice Are Loaded. Everybody Knows The Good Guys Lost.
Josey

Post by Josey »

I'm ok with it as long as the towers are out of sight.

And I personally hate smart phones, but I can compromise! See! :lol:

I can just see it now, some dip sh*t tourist walking and staring at their phone, texting, and they run right into a Bison or Grizzly bear, or fall off a cliff. LoL Halarious.
An intelligent man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half. -EVAN ESAR
cabinish

Post by cabinish »

People get distracted with taking videos with their phone versus having the experience for themselves.

Return to “Active Living”